Friday, April 07, 2006

A bit of colour: stuffed peppers

This is based on a recipe I saw for stuffed chilli peppers (poblanos probably) in one of these extra recipe booklets that occasionally come with BBC Good Food magazine. This was a while ago - which issue exactly, I can't tell, as I've long given up hope finding the magazine again.. Coming from a country where using sweet Hungarian paprika is considered adventurous, I am not used to eating spicy food for my weekday dinners. I have therefore replaced poblanos with romanos. Whereas any red pepper would do, I prefer to use Romanos or those longish sweet pointed peppers in this recipe instead. These are thinner than 'normal' bell peppers/capsicums, and do not need blanching before being stuffed.

The amount of mushrooms and spinach is approximate and depends on how large are your peppers and how stuffed you like your stuffed peppers:)

A very easy, healthy and tasty recipe - feel free to use more chilli for an extra kick.

Pointed red peppers stuffed with spinach & mushrooms
(Täidetud paprikad seentega)
Serves 2



2 large pointed red peppers (Romano peppers)
olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
a pinch of chilli flakes
100-200 grams mushrooms, sliced
100-200 grams fresh spinach, washed, drained and roughly chopped
150-200 ml single cream

Cut an indention into the peppers and remove the seeds carefully.
Heat the olive oil, add the garlic and chilli flakes and fry gently for a minute or two.
Add the mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes, until mushrooms get some colour.
Throw in the chopped spinach and heat until spinach wilts.
Stir in the cream.
Spoon the filling into the peppers.
Bake at 200˚C for 25-30 minutes, until the pepper is softened to your liking.
Serve with green salad and possibly also some crusty bread.

10 comments:

Antti said...

Yummy looking - I've been thinking about growing my own chiles, especially for jalapeno poppers. But mushrooms sound wonderful too! Perhaps cheese AND mushrooms...

Anonymous said...

Lovely recipe Pille. I love this red colour indeed. Calling for summer now!

jasmine said...

They look great! It combines some of my favrourite ingredients :)

j

Ilva said...

Pille-that looks delicious! I have been planning to post some stuffed peppers soon too!

Alanna Kellogg said...

Gorgeous color, could dip into that creaminess right now, too!

BTW do try poblanos if you haven't, they're more smoky than hot. I love 'em!

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

Your stuffed peppers make me hungry ..! thank you ;)

Thredahlia said...

Nii läheb ju kõht tühjaks :P, pealegi meeldivad mulle väga igasugused täidetud piprad, sibulad, rullkõrvitsad... Peab kindlasti proovima.

Anonymous said...

What a nice sounding recipe. I love the way it looks. So nice and colorful! My kind of recipe!

Paz

Pille said...

Antti - growing your own chillis sounds fun! Re: mushrooms - I think what I like about this fungi-spinach filling that it's a bit different from the more popular mince meat filling. Healthier, too:)

Bea - so I'm not the only one craving for summer? It's nice and sunny here in Edinburgh, but so freezing cold:(

J - glad you like them. I guess I like anything with mushrooms..

Ilva - looking forward to reading about your stuffed peppers - and mouthwatering pictures!

Alanna - I would try poblanos, but haven't seen them fresh here in Scotland. I had them quite a few times in Mexico in September, and you're right, their heat is quite mellow, though still clearly recognisable.

Chanit - I guess that's one of the joyous vices of foodblogs - getting nice ideas and getting hungry:)

Thredalia - täidetud suvikõrvitsatest (väikeseid ümaraid suvikõrvitsalisi ei saa ma kohe kuidagi ju rullkõrvitsaks kutsuda) ja sibulatest olen juba bloginud, nüüd siis paprikad ka kirjas:)

Paz - I thought the bright colours would appeal to you:)

Anonymous said...

LOL, Pille! ;-)

Paz