Friday, January 06, 2006

Blue cheese and walnut biscuits

I found a recipe for these blue cheese and walnut biscuits in December issue of Pereköök, a monthly recipe booklet of Estonian family journal Pere ja Kodu. They were really simple to make and delicious, and went very well with glög/mulled wine:) These are a lovely addition to my cheesy feet biscuits.

Blue cheese and walnut biscuits
(Sinihallitusjuustu-pähkliküpsised)



150 grams butter
300 ml plain flour
0.5 tsp salt
100-150 grams blue cheese
50 grams chopped walnuts

Chop butter, flour and salt into crumbs, add chopped blue cheese and mix into a dough (if the dough feels to greasy, add a bit more flour).
Add the nuts, knead a bit and form into 2 rolls (3 cm diameter). Wrap into a clingfilm and put into a fridge for at least an hour.
Cut each roll into 5 mm discs and put these onto a baking tray. Bake at 175˚C for 12-15 minutes, until they are light golden (do NOT let them go brown, as cheese goes bitter).

These biscuits keep for a week in an airtight container (in theory. We finished them straight away).

UPDATE:
London-based Manne of Tummyrumble tried these cookies, too

9 comments:

Ilva said...

I'm going to make these, tomorrow I'm going to but the blue cheese and then...mmmm

Kalyn Denny said...

Sounds just delicious. I like the way you combine interesting foods.

Journal Actif said...

Hi Nami-Nami,
I agree these are very tempting. Blue cheese is my 11 years old son favorite. I'll make those especially for him.
Thanks for the interesting recipe.

Stephanie said...

Ooh..that sounds wonderful!

I'm a fan of walnut/blue cheese treats, and you're right; they are simple to make!

Wonder if I'll have time this weekend???

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pille, welcome back ! I trust you have had a great time back home. I will definitely try this recipe. And I will soon post about a Greek Feta & Walnut Biscuit. Maybe something for you... Have a good time, angelika

Joycelyn said...

hi pille, those golden cheesy savoury bites look like sheer heaven; thank you so much for sharing the recipe - this is one i am definitely going to try!

Manne said...

Yup, they are well tasty. :) But here's a tip from a cookie baking newbie... Leave room for cookies to grow!

Pille said...

Ilva - did you have a go?

Kalyn - thanks for the compliment!

Zoubida - I hope your boy likes these. And they are easy enough to make, so maybe he'll have a go himself?!

Stephanie - you're welcome!

Angelika - mmmm - Greek Feta & Walnut Biscuits. Sound absolutely delicious. I have some feta and walnuts at home at the moment, so your recipe would be very much appreciated:)

J - these were delicious! I've made them twice now - once with a strong cheap supermarket blue cheese (can't even think of a brand, sorry) and once with Cachel Blue. Both were equally tasty.

Paz - well, if you like the sound of the recipe, then you probably should also see how they taste:)

Manne - I'm glad you tried and liked these, though sorry about the spreading. My dough was quite hard and as I sliced and baked it straight from the freezer, they didn't spread at all. Well, almost not at all. But thanks for the tip - I'll mention it next time.

Sylvia said...

Amazing combination ,blue chees and almonds ,it sounds fantastic to me.